RELIEVING PRESSURE STEP 1: BREATHING
- We feel physical and mental pressure throughout the day usually because our mind is ahead of our body, or our body is ahead of our mind.
- For example, you might be running to a meeting while your mind is disconnected and wanting to still be in bed, or your body is exhausted and your mind is racing through to-do lists.
- This creates friction and disconnection. When what we say and do are in alignment, we experience harmony
- Try to realign your body in mind by focusing on breathing: breathe in for a count of 4, breathe out for a count of 4 (count in your head, at your own pace)
RELIEVING PRESSURE STEP 2: VISUALIZATION
- Visualization: well-known sports stars use visualization to deal with
- Using visualization allows you to deal with the pressure and stress before the activity actually happens
- It allows you to fast-forward an experience to the present in a situation where you’re not yet experiencing the pressure and stress so you can engage with it better
- For example, visualize your success before a big meeting by imagining each step of the process—walking in with confidence, not falling over on the stage, saying the first word with composure, speaking eloquently and so on
- Then when you actually attend the meeting, you will carry that energy with you
- One of the biggest mistakes we make is stressing before an activity, but not preparing for an activity
- Jay uses visualization to prepare for going on stage to speak at events
- A visualization is a form of mental rehearsal, usually we mentally rehearse what could go wrong, and think dwelling on stress and pressure helps us deal with it—this is unhelpful!
- We can reprogram ourselves to deal with stress how we want to through visualization
RELIEVING PRESSURE STEP 3: FOCUS ON SOUND
- When we’re in a coma or toward the end of our lives, we can still hear the sound
- The sound wakes us up in the morning and touches our consciousness at the deepest level
- Observe the sound in the space you’re in right now, wherever you are. This will bring your deepest attention to that place and be present.
- If we’re scared of being lonely, we’ve never learned to be alone
- Don’t forget to take a screenshot of this episode, tag us both on social media (@JayShettyIW & @jimkwik) and share what you’re going to do as part of your digital detox with us!