Your brain is like a super-computer, and your self-talk is the program it will run.That's why any negative self-talk you have is a major obstacle to accessing the total potential of your Kwik Brain.Nick Ortner is an expert on Emotional Freedom Technique, also known as tapping. Tapping involves tapping on the endpoints of the meridians of your body. This sends a calming signal to your brain's amygdala and improves your productivity, performance, and positivity.To improve your positivity, start by tapping on your automatic negative thoughts.
How to Tap:
- Pick something in your life that you’re anxious about (ideally an upcoming event)
- Close your eyes, take a deep breath, and say aloud, “I am __,” filling in the blank with your negative thought. Focus on one negative belief, and acknowledge this negative feeling. Rate how true this statement feels on a scale of 0 – 10. Pick an emotion that this statement makes you feel in your body and be present with it.
- When you’re ready, open your eyes.
- Take 4 fingers and tap on the “karate chop point” – the outside of your hand below the pinky. As you tap, repeat the following phrases:
- Even though I have this belief about myself, I choose to relax now.
- Even though I believe this about myself, I choose to relax now.
- Even though I believe ___, I love and accept myself. Insert your own belief into the final two statements.
Take 2 fingers and tap where your eyebrow meets the nose. Say your belief out loud as you tap. (You can do this on one side or both sides of the body since the major meridians run down both sides of the body.)
- As you say your belief out loud, tap on the bone on the side of the eye.
- Tap under your eye and say your belief out loud again. Be present to this belief and see how it feels in your body.
- Tap under the nose with 2 fingers as you continue to be present to the emotion of that belief. How do you feel when you say this belief?
- Say this belief out loud as you tap below your mouth in the chin above your crease.
- Go about an inch below your collarbones and out to the side. Tap with all 10 fingers and say that belief out loud again. Notice if the belief starts to sound a little silly, or if you’re starting to care less about it.
- Tap about 3 inches under your armpit. (For women, this is on your bra line.) Think about all the times you’ve disproved your belief.
- Tap the top of your head with 5 fingers.
- Return to the eyebrow, allowing your anxiety to evolve into strength.
- Tap on the side of the eye, paying attention to the positive emotions that are beginning to come up.
- As you tap under the eye, be present with those positive thoughts.
- Tap under the nose and be present with the strength and confidence in your body as your negative thoughts vanish.
- Tap under the mouth and make your strength bigger and brighter. Try to think about the negative belief again and notice how it’s hard to care about it.
- Tap under your collarbone, and feel your own strength and power. Notice all the resources that awaken inside of you. What if you could always feel like this?
- Tap underneath your armpit, allowing your power to sink into every cell of your body.
- Tap your crown and be present. Feel your new reality.
- When you’re ready, stop tapping and take a deep breath. Tune back into your belief and see how it feels. How strong does it feel on a scale of 1 – 10?
Want more from Nick Ortner?If you enjoy this, I encourage you to purchase Nick's brand-new book: The Tapping Solution for Manifesting Your Greatest Self. Remember: all behavior is belief-driven - and one of the best ways to change ours is by tapping. You can purchase the book here.